Monday, August 6, 2012

Grilled Corn with Lime and Feta


Summer is a beautiful thing. 


Summer is warm, casual, whimsical, refreshing, leisurely, simple. Summer is what I wish everyone and everything around me could always be. It is how I wish I could always be. 


There’s this certain feeling you get when you love something completely, it feels a lot like fear. That you’ll lose whatever it is, that it might change, that you might change.




I have always been a little bit in love with summer. 

I love the way I feel with the sun on my skin and golden highlights in my hair and ocean salt drying on my skin.

When I was younger, like any kid, it was my favorite season, hands down. Summer meant pool parties and playdates and longer days with later bedtimes. When I got older, it meant I could put away the pleated khaki skirt and the blue uniform polo and trade them in for sundresses and flip-flops, carry around a beach towel instead of a backpack.


Because I have always been in love with summer, I have also always been a little afraid something might change. That maybe, one day, when summer was no longer that beautiful empty space between school terms, when it became nothing more than just one of the four seasons, maybe I would love it a little less.
Right now, as peach juice dribbles down my arm, as I sip lemonade on my back porch with my dogs at my feet, as I rinse chlorine from my hair, as I pack my bags for Greece—I’ve never been more in love with summer.


I’m thinking summer and I will be alright in the end.

So, here’s a recipe to help you enjoy the last few weeks of wonderful summer. It involves only a few ingredients, because simplicity and freshness are often all that matters for a successful summer meal.


Grilled Corn with Lime and Feta
Serves 6

6 ears of corn, husks removed
olive oil
1 lime, halved
4oz feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
optional: parsley or fresh herbs, chopped

Preheat grill on high heat. Soak corn in cool water for 5-10 minutes. 

Spray or brush griddle lightly with olive oil. Remove from water and place corn directly onto grill. Cover with lid, turning occasionally, until the corn begins to char on each side. Should take about 15-20 minutes.

Remove from heat, squeeze lime juice directly onto corn, top with feta, and sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper. Add herbs if desired. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment