Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Balsamic and Brown Sugar Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Let's talk about vegetables, people.


I was never against vegetables as a child. 

I was never one of those kids that would make faces, push their peas around their plate, feed the broccoli to the dog.


This is probably because my grandmother was Italian, and like any good Italian, she would cover everything, and I mean everything, in extra virgin olive oil. 

And I'm not talking about a healthy drizzle here or there, I'm talking about pouring, covering, smothering. 

Drowning, those vegetables would be drowning in oil. 

Which, you know, suddenly not so healthy anymore. But whatever. I ate them. And I learned to love them, oil or no oil.


Now, when I make vegetables, I usually do the bare minimum, a pinch of pepper, a dash of salt, a little drizzle of oil--my grandmother would be sorely disappointed, but I'm sure my arteries will thank me eventually.
 

This, however, is not one of those times. 


This is one of those times where I cover these little sprouts with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes and, you guessed it, that childhood favorite, olive oil. 

And you know what? They're so worth it. 


Balsamic and Brown Sugar Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Serves 4-6 

1lb Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and enough to lightly grease baking sheet
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt  
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 

Preheat oven to 400.

Wash and prepare Brussels sprouts, cutting in half if desired. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, tossing to coat Brussels sprouts evenly. 

Coat baking sheet lightly with olive oil then place Brussels sprouts into the oven. Bake for  25-35 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are crisp and caramelized on the outside and tender on the inside, shaking the pan occasionally so sprouts brown evenly.



No comments:

Post a Comment