Monday, September 3, 2012

Honey Grilled Shrimp

Happy Labor Day everyone!




It's kind of odd wishing people a happy Labor Day. 

It's one of those faux holidays, where the only reason people are really happy about anything is because they got the day off of work. A good test for whether a holiday is a faux-holiday or not is if you could conceivably see yourself calling up a friend or relative to wish them a "Happy ___ Day." I don't know about you, but I can't remember a time where I have ever felt the urge to call a relative specifically to say, "Hey Aunt Cyn, Happy Labor Day."



No offense to the "economic and social contributions of workers," which is how Wikipedia phrases the basis for Labor Day, but I'm pretty sure if I asked anyone why Labor day is awesome I think their answers would all involve relatively monosyllabic statements like "beer" or "beach" or some of those more complicated ones like "barbecuing" or "no school" or "day off."

I mean, again, no offense Labor Day, but out of all the holidays... you're not exactly in my top 5. I mean Christmas? Come on, can't top that. Also, I got to love me some good Halloween fun, and yes, I still dress up even though I'm in my 20s, and i'm not talking in that skanky Mean Girls kind of way that has somehow become the acceptable step in between being a kid in their trick-or-treating costume and being an adult in their jeans and cable knit sweater passing out candy. I'm talking real costumes. Last year I was a strawberry. Do Not Judge.  



Fourth of July, also an excellent holiday. Anything that involves fireworks really, the awesome factor goes up by 10. I think having things explode on your holiday is kind of cheating, but I don't see anyone complaining.


Maybe if someone added fireworks to Labor Day it would give the poor little fellow a bit more pizzazz.

Although, when you really think about it, the beauty of this bank-holiday-that's-kind-of-but-not-really-an-actual-holiday, is that it allows everyone to just take a day and relax, no decorations, no fuss, no cards, no obligatory dinners. Maybe a friendly barbecue or two, a dip in the pool, and certainly, absolutely, no laboring. And, how can that ever be a bad thing?


Honey Grilled Shrimp
Serves 6-8

2 lbs uncooked medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined

¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup cider vinegar
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
1 cup honey, set aside 2-3 tablespoons for basting if desired

Combine all ingredients, except shrimp, in a large bowl. Whisk together until well combined.

Add the shrimp, which have been rinsed, peeled, and deveined, to the marinade. I recommend pouring both into a ziplock bag and tossing or shaking gently to ensure even coating.

Refrigerate for 1 hour.

While shrimp are marinating, preheat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil grate.

Drain and discard marinade. Thread shrimp onto metal skewers (or soaked wooden skewers) and place them on the grill. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until they are opaque, you may baste occasionally with 2-3 tablespoons of extra honey while grilling if desired. Serve warm.








No comments:

Post a Comment