Monday, September 17, 2012

Maple amd Brown Sugar Barbecued Salmon

I don’t really have a sweet tooth like most people I know.



I add sugar to my coffee most mornings, but other than that... I don't crave cookies, I'm not a fan of cake, I don't like licorice or cheesecake or bonbons. Hand me a chocolate bar and I’ll just kind of look at you funny. And aside from a slice of pie, a scoop of ice cream, and maybe a well-timed sour gummy worm or two, I could pass on most sweets altogether.  I'm weird, trust me I've been made aware. 

When one of my girl friends hands me a Snickers like she's gifting me with something sacred and I say, "No thanks," I might as sign myself up for a life as a social pariah with the looks I get. I'm pretty sure being a girl and not liking chocolate goes against some secret code of conduct for my gender, some kind of unspoken rule of womanhood.


 

Anyone who knows me knows that getting me a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day would most definitely not impress. In fact, it would mostly just show how little they paid attention.

The only exception to this is my grandfather, Papa Bill, who gets me an enormous box of See's Candies every February 14th so that he can feign generosity, watch me eat 1 out of the 20 little delicacies, and then leave with a box of fancy chocolates to keep all for himself.  I’m pretty sure most of my deviousness and all of my tricks come from him.



My lack of sweet tooth, however, doesn't necessarily mean that I can't appreciate a little bit of sweetness added to my life every now and then.

This dish is one of those instances where a bit of added sugar is always appreciated. The way that the brown sugar melts into the salmon, while the maple crystallizes on its surface: So Very Good.



Maple and Brown Sugar Barbecued Salmon
Serves 4

2 lbs wild salmon, about 1 inch thick salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup

Rinse the salmon and debone if necessary. We used one large fillet of wild Atlantic salmon here, but there are other less expensive options out there. We also asked for the end of the fish cut closer to the tail as opposed to the middle, which means there are almost no bones to look out for. Leave the skin on.

Sprinkle salt and pepper over the fish, then rub with the oil. Pour the maple syrup and brown sugar over the fish and rub gently into the flesh. If you have time, place in a ziplock bag and let mixture marinate for about 1 hour.

Preheat grill on high heat. Coat or spray grate lightly with oil.

Place the fish on the grill, skin side down. Cook, with the lid closed, for about 15 minutes. If your fillet is large but you are feeling confident, you can attempt to flip the fillet for the last few minutes to get a sear on both sides. If not, leave it to cook on one side for the entire time. The fish will be done when it becomes more pink and less orange, looks opaque throughout, and flakes easily with a fork. Salmon is a very particular fish. Unlike some other fish that can be cooked a little underdone (like Ahi tuna) or overdone (like some white fish) and still taste fantastic, salmon is a bit trickier. Cooking times can very greatly depending on the thickness of your fillet and the barbecue you’re using, so pay attention to the fish itself, not just the clock.

Remove from grill and serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment