Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lemon-Vegetable Risotto with Goat Cheese

Patience is a virtue… that I do not have.


I always start out with good intentions, but patience is as fleeting for me as those two days where I thought joining the soccer was a good idea or that time I got those full bangs.

It doesn't help that I get distracted so easily.

I'm really good at starting projects. I'm terrible at finishing them. I'll decide it'll be fun to revisit my childhood and make a scrap book or do some arts and crafts, but half the time, the hot glue gun is still heating up when I call it quits. I have this same problem with books. I can't just go into the library and check out one. I have to get about five. And I have to start reading them RIGHT NOW, because I am just that determined to get a good book under my belt. But about 40 pages in I will inevitably move onto the next one, knowing that even though I couldn't force myself to finish this one, that one, will definitely keep my attention.

...It won't, trust me, I speak from experience.



But somehow, my impatience, my lack of focus, and my attention span the likes of a door knob (as my middle school teacher once said), don't apply to cooking. And miraculously, these productivity-handicaps have not stopped me from taking on time-consuming or challenging recipes.






The thing about risotto though, is that it's not really as overwhelming as people seem to make it out to be.

Sure, it involves a lot of standing around by the stove, spooning obnoxiously small batches of broth into rice that is simmering on obnoxiously low heat. Not going to lie.

But I am here to tell you that that is glass-half-empty thinking, my friend. Don't be a Negative Nancy. Think of it this way, yes, risotto can take an obnoxiously long time compared to regular old rice, but it also tastes a million times better than regular old rice, AND, all that stirring and pouring and stirring gives you the perfect excuse to dance around your kitchen listening to obnoxiously, wonderfully catchy music at full volume for the same amount of time.

So have a little patience, embrace the experience, and make this risotto. Because it's so worth it.



Lemon-Vegetable Risotto with Goat Cheese
serves 4

8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into pieces
8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut in half
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 medium sized zucchini, sliced
1 medium sized yellow squash, sliced
2 leeks, darkest green leaves removed and remainder sliced into rounds

1 carton (32 fl oz) or 4 3/4 cups vegetable broth
½ cup shallots, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice, uncooked
¼ cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
Juice of 1 lemon (or about 3 tablespoons)
¼ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste
4 oz goat cheese 
2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

Bring a pot of water to a boil, quickly blanche asparagus and snap peas in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, squash, and leeks. Sautee until tender and beginning to brown, about 5-10 minutes. Set aside with the asparagus and peas.

In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable broth over medium heat. Do not boil, simply bring to a simmer then reduce heat, keeping broth warm.

Meanwhile, place remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice, cook for about 1 minute, stirring continuously. Add wine, cook until the liquid has reduced, this should take less than a minute.

Stir in 1 cup broth, cooking until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring continuously. Add the remaining broth, ½ cup at a time, repeating this process and stirring continuously. Once all the broth has been added and absorbed and the rice looks plump, mix in the vegetables, Romano cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Remove from heat, top with goat cheese and basil and serve immediately.




1 comment:

  1. Hey, what's with Negative Nancy? Couldn't it have been Nellie or Nicky or Nirupam?
    Hmmpf! Anyway, the recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete