Friday, November 2, 2012

Caramel Apples

Halloween has come and gone my friends. 


It's that time where you awkwardly have to find a place for that random fake hatchet and that bottle of blood-red-colored corn syrup or those pink 80s fishnets or that giant banana costume you rocked on the 31st that you won't need again for.... possibly ever.

Or all the time, depending on how often you feel the need to where a large fruit-shaped costume in your regular day-to-day. No judgement. Okay, a little judgement, not gonna lie.


It is also that time where, if you're an adult like me (okay, "adult" might be a bit of a stretch...), you're feeling a little smarted by the fact that trick-or-treating is becoming increasingly taboo every time Halloween roles around and you're another year older.


I don't know why it bothers me so much that if I were to go trick-or-treating without being accompanied by a small child I could get angry reactions ranging from an, "aren't you too old for this?" to a full on drenched-in-pigs-blood incident, alla the end of Carrie.

Okay, that's kind of extreme, but you never know, people are protective of their candy these days.


Now I'm resigned to handing out candy. I don't even really like candy and yet I find myself hoping no kids come by so I can keep it all for myself. Clearly I have some kind of latent hoarding tendencies.


Even as a kid, come November 1st, I would hide all my Halloween candy somewhere--stash it in my backpack, in the bathroom medicine cabinet, the back of my closet, under my bed.

Why? So no one else could have it.

But you're not even going to eat it, you ask? Hush now, so not the point. If I earned it, I'm gonna guard the heck out of it. Simple as that.


Seems excessive? Well at least I wouldn't have been one of the kids duped like these poor suckers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQpbzQ6gzs.

If only they'd been juvenile hoarders like me....all that could have been avoided.


But don't worry, candy or no candy--you can still have a sweet post-Halloween celebration.

Let the kids have their candy, I'll keep my caramel apples, thanks.


Caramel Apples
makes 15 large caramel apples

15 large green apples (feel free to use more if you are using variety of smaller sizes as well)
15 sticks (lollipop sticks work well depending on the size of your apples)
parchment paper
1 tablespoon butter
28 ounces soft caramel candies (2 14-ounce bags)
6-8 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
optional: crushed oreos, peanuts, almonds, sprinkles, melted chocolate, etc.

Wash the apples in warm water and towel-dry to remove any of the apples' waxy coating. Remove the stems from each apple and insert sticks so that they are firmly in place and can support the weight of the apple. Place on parchment paper and let cool in the fridge while you prepare the caramel--chilled apples will allow the caramel to set faster later.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in the caramels, let soften for a few minutes, then add the cream or milk and the vanilla, stirring continuously to avoid sticking and burning. Once caramel has become a smooth and liquid in consistancy, reduce heat to the lowest setting to keep caramel "dippable" throughout the dipping process.

Dip each apple one by one into the caramel, let excess drip off, then place back onto parchment paper. If you'd like, you may roll them in your favorite toppings before placing them back onto the parchment paper. Place apples back in the refrigerator until caramel has set. Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment