Friday, November 9, 2012

Hot Buttered Rum

Sometimes you just have to start your day off right with a nice stiff drink.... I mean. Um. End your day with a nice stiff drink. I definitely don't condone indulging in alcoholic beverages in the mornings. Except for Bloody Marys. And Irish Coffee. And, you know, Mimosas. 

Okay, I think I've gotten off track here.



My point is: sometimes you just need a nice stiff drink, whatever time of day it may be. Don't worry, I won't tell.



Most of the time, however, when I think of cocktails, they're all fairly geared towards warm-weather scenarios. Tequila sunrises, gin and tonics, mojitos and margaritas... All these kinds of drinks just make me mourn for those summer days lying on the beach on a hot afternoon or at least, you know, those days where the sun stays out past, I don't know, 6 pm maybe.


When it's raining, or snowing, or even just plain nippy out--a spritz of fresh lime still sounds refreshing, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't quite have that same mouth-watering appeal that it did back in July.


That's where this fall, or dare I say, winter cocktail comes in. Oh god, with the hot. and the buttered. and the rum. and the hot. and the cinnamon. and the hot. So rich and warm and delicious. Sign. Me. Up.



So put the lime away for a minute, pack up the beach towels, instead, pour yourself a glass of warm fall comfort and sit yourself down by the fireplace. Come on, it's been a long week. You deserve it.




Hot Buttered Rum
Serves 2

2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 pats butter
4oz rum
1-2 cups boiling water (depending on how strong you like your drink)
optional: nutmeg, cinnamon, cinnamon sticks

Place 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 1 pat of butter at the bottom of each cup. Add the rum. Then pour half of the boiling water into each cup. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon if desired. Garnish with cinnamon stick. Serve hot.  



No comments:

Post a Comment